Thanks for pledging! - Share this with your friends
Thank you for your pledge! We'll be in touch once the campaign meets its goal, and again when it closes, so you know we'll be charging your card.
SpaceBase: Co-creating the Future of New Zealand in Space!
I want to embed this project somewhere
NZ $4,425 pledged
19 people pledged
22 days left
NZ $50,000 minimum target
Pledges will only be confirmed if the target is reached by: 05/12/2019 at 5:00 PM (NZDT)Make a Pledge
Space Base: Co Creating The Future Of New Zealand In Space!
Project 2019-09-14 17:16:17 +1200
SpaceBase’s mission is to catalyze and grow the space ecosystem in New Zealand through education, entrepreneurship and community building.
Space technology has improved life on Earth, and has the potential to solve humanity's global grand challenges. NZ is poised to participate in the global space industry, if it can develop the capacity to do so.
For the past two years, SpaceBase has been passionately running space initiatives in NZ to create pathways for Kiwis to join the global space industry. We intend to give the next generation of Kiwis a road map to guide them on the journey from space enthusiast to space entrepreneur.
Our efforts to date have been about 90% self-funded. We are asking you, our community, for funding so that we can continue to deliver our projects for free for another year, develop more educational and mentoring programmes, and build the NZ space community platform further.
We have run NZ space and aerospace challenges, given space presentations and training, mentored space entrepreneurs, and advised space agency and local government on space strategy and opportunities. We have developed an open-source community and content platform to serve and catalyze the emerging space community in Aotearoa which includes a Space Directory and Events Calendar, and a repository of resources for the Kiwi space entrepreneur.
Summary of our Impact for the past 2 years:
- 100+ separate space presentations, briefings, training sessions, and speaker events
- 10 startups/entrepreneurs mentored
- 2 space/aerospace challenges delivered
- 99 potential Challenge teams/solutions over two competitions generated
- 70 virtual incubator participants from 18 teams facilitated
- 8 startups catalyzed
- 22 incubators across NZ engaged
- 1 space Meetup group created
- 3 national/local strategy workshops participated
- 64 partner organizations collaborated
- 14 regional Economic Development Agencies engaged
- 9 universities and colleges engaged
- 1 community platform with Space Directory and Events Calendar
“They've provided so much expertise that I've struggled to find anywhere else in New Zealand”
- CEO, Peter Toth, Extraterrestrial Power
“The contribution of SpaceBase in building bridges between startups, academic, economic, educational and governmental institutions ...means they have created something else that has never been before: A Minimum Viable Ecosystem (MVE) for the Space Industry in Aotearoa! That could be a launchpad for future space-entrepreneurs, curious students and advanced technologists to pick the right set of resources ... to launch their space ideas... “
- Sakthi Priya Ranganathan, JIX Limited
The work of SpaceBase continues to inspire young people and those people in education about the opportunities available to them in NZ and beyond. Providing a focused view on cohort of businesses also serves to help people understand future job skills and opportunities.
- Jiveen MacGillivray, Growth and Innovation Specialist, Northland Inc.
SpaceBase was founded by three Edmund Hillary Fellows - Emeline, Eric, and Rich with decades of aerospace, education and program development, and software development experience from the U.S. and the Philippines.
We are grateful for the privilege to work in this beautiful country, and we don't take it lightly. We take our social impact and company values very seriously. Check out our values and our Impact report to see where we are coming from and where we are going.
Our Campaign Goals
If we meet our funding target of $50k, we can:
- Continue our educational and community initiatives to grow the New Zealand space community by running meetups and outreach programmes **♥︎, and
- Continue to deliver presentations, speaker series, and workshops across NZ to schools and academic institutions **♥︎
- Continue to contribute our pro-bono mentorship and advisement program to entrepreneurs and government agencies.
- Continue building our online space content for the NZ space community through webinars, podcasts, training sessions and resources wiki **♥︎
- Maintain our directory of space industry players and space events to build the NZ space community
For an additional $50k, we can:
- Continue software development of our open-source platform through new features that will support others in creating impactful space projects
- Spread the love – we will complete our playbooks and open another SpaceBase in another country in 2020. **♥︎
- Operate at least one NZ space challenge/competition program in 2020.**♥︎
- Fund the operational costs to hire additional human resources to promote, market and create educational space content for the NZ space community. **♥︎
**♥︎ SpaceBase charitable initiatives
- (♥︎) These rewards are charitable donations (see charitable rewards categories) and will be collected through the Gift Trust on behalf of SpaceBase. Donors will receive a charitable donation receipt.
- (*) These rewards are not tax-deductible and will not receive a charitable donation receipt.
Help us out!
Help SpaceBase continue to build the New Zealand space industry in 2020. Support NZ’s space future by supporting us today!
Official Launch Today!
11/11/2019 at 11:16 AM
A huge thank you to those who have donated and seeded the campaign early!! We are now 5% of our minimum target on day 1! We feel the support from our community!
Please help us spread the word by sharing the following posts and tweets in the following social media channels:
With much gratitude! E,E&R
Soft Launch Starts Today!
08/11/2019 at 3:13 PM
Kia Ora! We've soft launched today and hoping to seed the campaign before the official launch Monday at 8am. Hope we can count on your support in this early days to start the momentum going.
With all our gratitude - Emeline, Eric and Rich
2019-11-12 22:21:41 +1300
"All the best space base team, keep inspiring!"
2019-11-12 11:49:31 +1300
2019-11-12 11:14:35 +1300
2019-11-12 10:52:38 +1300
"To infinity and beyond. "
2019-11-12 10:45:41 +1300
2019-11-12 03:28:15 +1300
"Keep it going SpaceBase!!"
2019-11-11 14:28:05 +1300
2019-11-11 11:22:32 +1300
"Go team! "
2019-11-11 06:33:45 +1300
"Best wishes fellow EHF Fellows!"
2019-11-10 12:46:49 +1300
"You are making a massive impact team and your love for space is contagious! Kia kaha! "
2019-11-10 12:19:17 +1300
"We are excited for you to continue your trailblazing journey. Aparna & Geoff"
2019-11-09 19:20:29 +1300
"I am in awe of the impact you've already achieved and can't wait to see more incredible work you get up to. Ad Astra! "
2019-11-09 15:34:57 +1300
2019-11-09 08:14:42 +1300
2019-11-08 22:02:44 +1300
"Good luck guys!"
2019-11-08 19:43:50 +1300
"Great to see the amazing work of these three Edmund Hillary Fellows making a contribution to New Zealand. Love the Glenorchy backdrop."
2019-11-08 17:16:22 +1300
2019-11-08 15:35:44 +1300
"Go team SpaceBase! With you all the way to infinity and beyond ;) "