Thanks for pledging! - Share this with your friends
Thank you for your pledge! We'll be in touch once the campaign meets its goal, and again when it closes, so you know we'll be charging your card.
Scoop 3.0 Crowdsale and Crowdfunding Campaign!
I want to embed this project somewhere
Minimum target: NZ$35,000
Days left: Closed
278 people pledged
NZ$35,000 minimum target
Pledges will only be confirmed if the target is reached by: 03/12/2018 at 12:00 AM (NZDT)Make a Pledge
Scoop 3.0 Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign!
Project 2018-10-05 06:04:41 +1300
Scoop has a real shot at creating the future of independent news and media intelligence and a solution to the news crisis - Now past 50%
Update 1: 12 super organisations have claimed the 30% ScoopPro CrowdSale Discount. These sales brought in roughly $8000 towards the total. This gives us 212 licensed Organisations, leaving us seeking 88 more to meet our target of 300 ScoopPro Organisations by the end of the year. Professional Readers please see this important article to learn more on why we are taking the ScoopPro approach to sustaining Scoop.
Update 2: Scoop is also excited to announce that we are now offering Section Sponsorships of our 3 top performing sections - Business, Politics, and Culture, Education & Health. Prices are very reasonable an proceeds will also contribute towards this Crowd sale. See this proposal for more details on how your Organisation can claim a highly sought after section on Scoop.co.nz:
The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed, blockchain integrated, news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We are unique among independent newsrooms for having a successful financial model that is not entirely reliant on advertising, sponsorship or reader donations. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.
Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model.
The Scoop 3.0 Crowd Sale aims to raise at least $35,000 (with a stretch goal of $60,000) from our ecosystem (both readers and institutional users) over the next two months in order to begin the next stage of this transition.
This support will be used for two key purposes to aid this Scoop 3.0 transition:
1. To bridge the small remaining gap between Scoop’s current revenues and profitability over the traditionally lean summer sales period; And
2. To assist us to prepare for an Equity Crowdfunding round here on PledgeMe in 2019. This will provide an opportunity for you to invest in a cooperative Media Technology project to expand the Scoop business and technology solution, first to provincial NZ, and then to the wider world.
About Scoop 3.0
Scoop 3.0 is a multi-legged project which will roll out over the coming 36 months.
We will use the funds from this crowd sale for the following specific tasks in the first phase of this plan:
• Phase One: Preparing Scoop For Investment - co-designing, business planning, preparing materials for the equity raise, and recruitment and awareness building;
• Phase Two: Raising capital via an Equity Crowdfunding raise here on PledgeMe (scheduled to take place in the first half of 2019);
• Phase Three: Rebuilding Scoop tech infrastructure and consolidating the ScoopPro business model with new features and products;
• Phase Four: Scaling and taking the ScoopPro news financialisation Model and technology to the world to assist other locally focused newsrooms.
You can support this effort now by purchasing ScoopPro in the Pledgeme Crowd sale!
To find out more about the details around our thinking and reasoning for the Scoop 3.0 transition please read Co-editor Joseph Cederwall’s three-part series:
Why should you support this crowd sale?
Over the past two decades Scoop has become one of the most news reliable news institutions in NZ. Come rain or shine every day for the past 7021 days the team at Scoop.co.nz has published the breaking raw news that underlies the NZ news and communications ecosystem.
And now Scoop is on a mission to take it’s sustainable solution to the News Crisis to the world. With the help of you, our generous and supportive crowd over the past three years we answered the challenge of developing and proving a new sustainable model for news monetisation - ScoopPro.
And while yes, admittedly it is still in its early stages, it does work. And in that respect, it stands out in a global trend of standard reader subscription/donation models. Last month, even Buzzfeed, the world’s largest news startup, started asking its’ readers for donations. The ScoopPro model has drastically decreased our reliance on public donations, leaving us free to ask for donations for specific causes such as this to further develop Scoop as a pioneering independent media enterprise.
ScoopPro is our new service offering essential professional media tools and a professional use license for Scoop.co.nz to professional users.
They also enjoy additional benefits like having open access from all their internet connected devices to our reliable and authoritative information source of breaking news and over 800,000 stories in our news database; and have access to our Broadcast email service for updates relevant to their work. We instituted this model because we recognised that:
1. Independent media badly needs a new financialisation model that is not permanently reliant on reader donations or advertising; and
2. Businesses and professionals need timely and accurate news intelligence and a channel to disseminate their news to a wider public and business and political audience.
The ScoopPro model pulls these two goals together into a social enterprise model. Scoop.co.nz information thus remains free and accessible to the wider public due to the support of New Zealand businesses who purchase a ScoopPro package according to our license terms.
We believe this ‘ethical paywall’ model represents an important financial model for the future of media globally, and want to further prove its success. We will then be in a position to spread the idea throughout New Zealand and globally.
How to support this Crowd Sale effort
Organisations, Institutions & Individuals Who Use Scoop Professionally
• Scoop’s professional users - organisations who routinely submit content to be published on Scoop, PR companies and institutions whose staff use Scoop professionally are the primary focus of this campaign
• On the RHS there are a series of special deals for your organisation to purchase a ScoopPro license (at a discounted price for a year). You can either purchase these offers by clicking on the link and pledging or by following this link to purchase ScoopPro online.
• Prices are scaled according to organisation size but your organisation is free to choose a higher category to make your support count even more.
• In order to purchase ScoopPro Advanced or Premium services, you must first pledge on the reward for the ScoopPro essential license for your organisation size, then pledge again on the upgrade. (Alternately contact Scoop directly to arrange this, see below.)
• Existing ScoopPro licensed organisations may also choose the UPGRADE to ScoopPro Advanced or Premium category to further support this effort and receive better ScoopPro services.
• You can also contacting Scoop Business Development Manager Steven Wood at [email protected] (once you make a purchase we will add it to the total pledged as part of the campaign)
Some Notable Current ScoopPro Clients
Readers & Supporters
• On the right hand side you will find a set of donation sizes and reward options to suit supporters of all budgets
• All supporters will be eligible to receive ScoopPro for Citizen News addicts. A special version of our ScoopPro service adapted for ordinary readers with lower frequency and focused on general interest news.
• Everybody who supports this campaign will have their name recorded on the Scoop 3.0 Page Of Thankyou
• And everybody who supports this campaign will be invited to participate as a VIP in the Scoop 3.0 Equity Crowd Funding campaign when it opens next year.
• There are also a selection of special rewards for supporters. These Include limited edition Scoop Diaries, and a book on the Future of Journalism in Aotearoa published by Freerange Press.
• Scoop is looking to expand in 2019. We have a ton of work to get done and we need new people to help us. If this is you then we would love to hear from you
• Under the new structure to be launched with the 2019 equity campaign, Scoop will become a worker cooperative with opportunities for freelancers and contributors to be fairly paid for their contributions and opportunities for the entire community to participate in collaborative decisions about the enterprise.
• People who would like to join in the Scoop project - either as journalists, editors, business heads, testers, technologists, cat herders or as potential future users of the Scoop 3.0 services (when they are developed) are invited to contact us and tell us about yourself and where you think you might fit in.
Contact: Joseph Cederwall on [email protected]
Scoop 3.0 Theory of Change
A Theory of Change is a comprehensive description of how and why a desired change is expected to happen in a particular context. The table below is a draft depicting the path to change we expect to see from the Scoop 3.0 plan.
|Crowdfunding campaign (Now)||Seed funds secured||Scoop is able to develop a strategic and tech plan for Scoop 3.0||A shared future vision for independent media is born|
|Community share offer||Shares issued to community Development funds secured||A community shares the vision and supports the plan to proceed with Scoop 3.0||Scoop is able to invest in further tech development|
|Develop ScoopPro news intelligence and PR tools||More commercial clients gained and increased content||Scoop is well funded and hosts useful and important information||Scoop core service is maintained while continuing to focus on future vision|
|Develop new Scoop platform with enhanced UX and media literacy friendly structure||More accessible information for users, Better reading experience, More content is published||Readership, loyalty and media literacy increases||People are well informed and educated about media and societyGovt and public are held to account|
|Create/adopt a blockchain-based ecosystem protocol layer and integrate with Scoop platform||Creates tools for verification, voting, evidence base and Micropayments on platform Connects to other platforms using same layer||More content available on Scoop. Content is accurate and verifiable Contributors are funded for efforts||Thriving, robust, verifiable and uncensored journalism ecosystem exists into the future|
|Platform, publishing service, Ethical paywall and Subscriptions model are extended as a SaaS product||Enables more news organisations to adopt the Scoop 3.0 model Increase amount of content published on ecosystem,||Creates a connected network of newsrooms using similar approach Improves ScoopPro service content Generates income stream||A secure, robust, decentralised and connected ecosystem of independent and local news providers exists globally and is self sustaining|
Hey! Thanks for checking out this project.
We haven't made any updates yet, follow us if you want to be notified when we do.
2018-12-02 23:03:55 +1300
2018-12-02 23:02:26 +1300
"Independent journalism is ever more important in this interconnected world, where truth can go unchecked."
2018-12-02 22:30:50 +1300
2018-12-02 22:27:34 +1300
2018-12-02 21:24:00 +1300
2018-12-02 21:17:08 +1300
2018-12-02 19:56:04 +1300
2018-12-02 19:53:24 +1300
2018-12-02 19:01:08 +1300
2018-12-02 17:45:15 +1300
2018-12-02 16:32:31 +1300
2018-12-02 15:17:18 +1300
2018-12-02 15:08:36 +1300
"Good work Scoop"
2018-12-02 15:08:18 +1300
2018-12-02 14:52:52 +1300
2018-12-02 14:36:25 +1300
"Good luck guys! All the best."
2018-12-02 14:08:28 +1300
2018-12-02 14:04:12 +1300
2018-12-02 13:21:10 +1300
"I value Scoop!"
2018-12-02 13:12:54 +1300
"Not much money here this year but really hoping this helps you get over the line!"
2018-12-02 12:21:43 +1300
"Enjoy the weekly emails there is usually atleast one article or more that i open to look at. "
2018-12-02 12:03:03 +1300
"Thank you "
2018-12-02 11:16:25 +1300
2018-12-02 11:08:57 +1300
2018-12-02 10:43:35 +1300
"Good luck with the final $1500"
2018-12-02 10:31:56 +1300
2018-12-02 10:25:54 +1300
2018-12-02 10:25:00 +1300
"The Duck’s Nuts Alastair "
2018-12-02 10:22:22 +1300
2018-12-02 10:08:43 +1300
"Very proud to be Scoop licensee."
Followers of Scoop 3.0 Crowdsale and Crowdfunding Campaign!
I want to embed this project somewhere
Minimum target: NZ$35,000
Days left: Closed