Thanks for pledging! - Share this with your friends
Thank you for your pledge! We'll be in touch once the campaign meets its goal, and again when it closes, so you know we'll be charging your card.
1.5 Degrees Live! Christchurch
I want to embed this project somewhere
NZ $4,800 pledged
81 people pledged
NZ $4,400 minimum target
Pledges will only be confirmed if the target is reached by: 08/12/2019 at 9:00 PM (NZDT)Make a Pledge
1.5 Degrees Live! Christchurch
Project 2019-11-12 14:44:35 +1300
- $2M Public Liability Insurance Policy: $480
- Advertising / promotion: $260
- Lunches/snacks/coffees for volunteers: $420
- Hire of temporary structures & AV equipment: $780
- Decorations / paint: $320
- Carbon offsetting: $520
- SignUpGenius software subscription: $62
- Printing Costs: $1560*
* Obviously, the printing costs are a lot. We intend to make durable large-format prints of all the graphs, charts and maps from the IPCC report as visual aids to help communicate the science. We think this is vital. And we're opting to print on canvas rather than normal paper (not durable) or vinyl (made from petrochemicals). It will be around 44m2 of full-colour printing, which is a lot. We're in conversation with multiple programmes at UC and Lincoln about inheriting these resources from us after the event; we hope they'll become a long-term useful resource for climate change education.
Two More Sleeps!
06/12/2019 at 11:32 AM
Just Two Sleeps Till Our Pledgeme Closes!
Just two sleeps till this Pledgeme campaign closes and we're only $500 short of our target. Let's get this done and smash that target.
We've had so many great conversations with people over the last week or so. From direct financial support to offers of products, time and help, to ideas around what we can do on the site to make the event as valuable as possible to the widest range of people, all are testament to the frustration people feel at the lack of action in actually bringing our emissions down and tackling the climate crisis.
This event is about ensuring that our climate, and our place in it, at in the heart of public discourse this summer. Help us to do that.
Davy and Ryan
Three Days To Go!
05/12/2019 at 10:39 AM
We're on the final countdown - just three days till this campaign closes! We're getting close too, with just a little over 1,000 left to raise. If you've given already, help us get this over the line by telling your friends. The whole point of this project is to get us talking and learing together, so have a chat with someone and spread the word!
We've also just added a new pledge, thanks to Christchurch's Remix Plastic. We've got some of their great recyled plastic badges in exchange for a tiddly wee $10 pledge. They'd look good on you - just saying.
And we thought we'd better let you know that the beer is all finished now. Massive massive thank yous to the team and Civil and Naval and Cassels Brewing for the aroha and support.
Pledges, Videos and Delicious Meals - and more beer!
03/12/2019 at 4:38 PM
Huge thanks to everyone for all the support so far! As you may have seen we’ve added a video to our page – if you want to help us keep the momentum going then it’d be amazing if you could share it around your networks.
We’ve also had some fantastic offers of in kind support and things we can offer as rewards. Big thanks to Gatherings restaurant for coming to the party with dinner for two! Expect to see more opportunities popping up over the next couple of days.
At the time of writing our beer is still on tap at Civil and Naval in Lyttelton. It’s hot and windy out there today so pop in for a cold Cassels and feel good about doing your bit. J
Five days to go – let’s smash that target!
Readers, Readers, Readers - and beer
30/11/2019 at 2:37 PM
First bit of news: Cassels & Sons Brewing has donated a keg of beer, which will be on tap at Civil & Naval in Lyttelton from Sunday 1 December. All proceeds go to 1.5 Degrees - so come have a pint with us; what better way to save the planet?! Big thanks to Cassels & Civil!
While the crowdfunding campaign has been underway, we've been slowly filling up our reader spots with some amazing people! Those who've confirmed their intention to read include:
- Composer, guitarist and lecturer Roy Montgomery;
- One of the lead authors of Chapter 5, Prof Bronwyn Hayward;
- Lincoln University environmental management lecturers Sylvia Nissen and Suzanne Vallance;
- Prime Minister's Chief Science Advisor Prof Juliet Gerrard;
- Chief Science Advisor to the Ministry of Transport Prof Simon Kingham;
- Artist, digital analyst & community outreach advisor for NZ Parliament Rosalee Jenkin;
- Activist, tutor and economist Charles Drace;
- Writer & curator Stephanie Oberg;
- Broadcaster James Meharry;
- Ecologist Colin Meurk;
- Orchardist & Craftsman Greg Quinn;
- Journalist Sally Blundell;
- Musician and Time Magazine's 2024 sexiest man alive Marlon Williams;
- Matapopore General Manager Debbie Tikao;
- Student Volunteer Army founder & young New Zealander of the year Sam Johnson;
- Brewer Zak Cassels;
- Christchurch Mayor Lianne Dalziel;
- Christchurch Deputy Mayor Andrew Turner;
- Christchurch City Councillor Sara Templeton;
- Enviroment Canterbury Councillor Lan Pham;
- Minister for Climate Change Hon James Shaw;
Minister for Energy & Resources; Greater Christchurch Regeneration; Housing; and Research, Science & Innovation Hon Dr Megan Woods;
- Writer Anke Richter;
- ChristchurchNZ CEO Joanna Norris;
- Christchurch City Council CEO Dawn Baxendale;
- Roimata Food Commons founder Michael Reynolds;
- Freelance writer Liz Grant;
- Associate Director of International Education & Development at University of Waikato Chris Henderson;
- Pacific Youth and Transformation founder Josiah Tualamali'i;
- Musician Amiria Grenell;
2019-12-08 20:17:53 +1300
"2nd fundraising payment from Cassels & Sons / Civil & Naval. So pleased to get this campaign over the line!"
2019-12-08 17:12:53 +1300
2019-12-08 17:08:27 +1300
"Hope this works - have been trying to pledge all afternoon but it hasn't been working...!"
2019-12-08 12:40:51 +1300
2019-12-08 08:18:27 +1300
2019-12-07 20:49:21 +1300
2019-12-07 12:23:02 +1300
"Such a great initiative. I hope you get a lot of support. "
2019-12-07 11:21:24 +1300
2019-12-07 09:58:49 +1300
2019-12-06 21:33:15 +1300
2019-12-06 20:03:43 +1300
"Good luck! We are sorry we can’t be there to come along. From John and Karina"
2019-12-06 16:38:29 +1300
"So happy to support this event. Love your style. xx"
2019-12-06 13:28:17 +1300
2019-12-06 13:09:25 +1300
2019-12-06 12:24:31 +1300
2019-12-06 09:29:56 +1300
"Thanks from Civil & Naval and Cassell's & Sons! "
2019-12-05 23:29:13 +1300
2019-12-05 19:46:50 +1300
2019-12-05 15:17:23 +1300
"thanks and good luck with it"
2019-12-05 14:56:41 +1300
2019-12-05 14:19:20 +1300
"From the WEA Raffle held today in support of this fantastic initiative.... We can't wait to be involved and help out where we can! All the team and students of the Canterbury WEA (Workers Educational Assoc)"
2019-12-05 14:10:44 +1300
"Awesome work guys"
2019-12-05 12:38:12 +1300
2019-12-05 10:18:47 +1300
"Good luck with this project, its great that you're bringing the reading to New Zealand, love, Jenny and Jan-Willem"
2019-12-04 22:58:26 +1300
2019-12-04 14:37:32 +1300
"I love this idea - good luck! If you need any cartoons drawing to help promote this event, let me know (I have a syndicated comic strip about environmental issues)."