Thanks for pledging! - Share this with your friends
Thank you for your pledge! We'll be in touch once the campaign meets its goal, and again when it closes, so you know we'll be charging your card.
Sensors that tell you when your home is making you sick
I want to embed this project somewhere
152 people pledged
Pledges will only be confirmed if the target is reached by: 20/08/2018 at 9:00 PMMake a Pledge
Sensors That Tell You When Your Home Is Making You Sick
Project 2018-06-25 23:37:31 +1200
Aotearoa, are you with us?
Whare Hauora make home sensors that tell you when your home is making you sick.
We need your help to take the next step and run trials in key communities, so we’re asking you to pledge to buy a kit, and for each kit you buy we’ll give one to a family in need. Each kit comes with 4 sensors, a gateway and a free app that helps you measure the health of your home.
We believe every home in New Zealand should have sensors, and that they should be government funded for our most vulnerable communities - just like the flu jab. But until we can make that a reality, we need our community to help us reach those who need us the most.
Our sensor kit
Join our mission
We want an Aotearoa where our homes don’t make us us sick. We want every home to have a sensor kit within the next 5 years.
By pledging your support, you’ll help empower communities to understand how their homes can affect their health.
You’ll also help us gather secure, non-personal data that helps paint a picture of what’s needed in New Zealand building standards.
Join our whānau
Our whānau members are aged between 20-100. They have children, grandchildren, elderly parents or grandparents. They worry because they know their loved ones will get sick in winter.
They smell the mould, they see the condensation on the windows and see their loved ones bundled up in jerseys, blankets and beanies while sitting in the lounge watching T.V.
They want to know how New Zealand’s homes are affecting the health of the people they care about, and they want to know how to help.
Does this sound like you? Can you help support Whare Hauora? Check out our range of support options down the right of this page.
Whare Hauora was formed in early 2016 from a discussion by two of the trustees, Amber Craig and Brenda Wallace. Brenda’s 5 year old daughter was sick with chronic asthma that meant lots of time off school.
To help understand if the problem was their home, Brenda paid $300 for one sensor, but she didn't want to buy more at such a high cost. Thinking there had to be a better way, Brenda bought $30 worth of parts and created her own sensors for her home. Putting one in each bedroom and comparing the differences in warmth and moisture levels.
With this information, Brenda was able to take actions to reduce her daughter’s asthma. And when Brenda told her friend Amber what she’d learned, they thought about all the other families who would benefit from home sensors.
From there, Whare Hauora became a registered charity and brought on Hīria Te Rangi to lead operations towards providing sensors for every home in Aotearoa within the next 5 years.
How will your money be used?
This PledgeMe is our ask to the people of Aotearoa, do we have your support? So first and foremost, your money will help show our community is behind us.
We’re starting with trials in three vulnerable communities where we’ll provide sensor kits, training on how to use them and ongoing help with their sensors. Your money will help us to expand into more communities and provide more sensors and workshops.
We need to make more home sensor kits. The last census counted over 1.5 million homes in Aotearoa - that’s a lot of houses to put sensors into.
We’re working to produce Whare sensors in Aotearoa, but the cost of manufacturing is currently too high. So for now, we’re researching ethical businesses overseas to make large quantities of our sensors. Your money will help our sole full-time staff member to travel to meet manufacturers, inspect factories and make sure they’re the right fit at the right price.
The big picture: Our long term goals
We used our technology skills to create the Whare Sensors and the app, but home health is a complex and complicated topic. We work with partners like:
- Dr Lance O’Sullivan and the iMoko team for their medical expertise and outreach to the community.
- The MyRivr team for their access to social service providers in the community.
- The University of Otago for their healthy home research.
- The Sustainability Trust for their work with communities in making their homes healthier.
We’re always looking for new partners, supporters, and relationships because cold, damp homes are a nationwide epidemic that needs all our help to fix.
If you can help us, along with like-minded organisations and government support, we have big plans for the future.
If you can help us, along with like-minded organisations and government support, we have big plans for the future. Our goals include:
- Rolling out sensor trials in vulnerable communities (this work is underway).
- Updating the sensor app so we can work with power companies and help families to see how much it costs to heat a room from unhealthy to healthy warmth levels.
- Updating the sensor app so that you can compare your current power costs against other power companies and enable you to understand your usage and switch companies
- As we get closer to our goal of sensors in every home, we want to form the Hauora collective: Using collective buying power to leverage the group size in exchange for discounted pricing to buy insulation, heat pumps, appliances, food etc.
Whare Hauora is incredibly lucky to have the following people on our team:
- Trustee, Co-founder - Queen of Governance and Community Relationships.
- Member of Digital Economy and Digital Inclusion Ministerial Advisory Group.
- Councillor on the Internet NZ board.
- Digital channels Architect for ANZ.
- Ngāti Kahungunu, Rangitāne & Muaūpoko.
- Orignator, Trustee, Co-founder - Yoda of Technology.
- Councillor on the Internet NZ board.
- Technology Lead at Department of Internal Affairs.
- Trustee and Kaiwhakahaere (CEO) of Whare Hauora.
- A fabulous wāhine software development company that takes care of our Whare Hauora App.
- The brilliant electronics company that ensures our Whare sensor kits are built well and on time.
A digital media agency in charge of making Whare Hauora look FANTASTIC.
- Director of Ginger Ink communications and in charge of making sure Hiria is eloquent and clear when speaking about difficult topics.
- Director of Maestro events and in charge of making our Whare Sensor Workshops run like clockwork for the residents.
The People Behind Sensors that tell you when your home is making you sick
03:43PM Mon 20/08/18 on Sensors that tell you when your home is making you sick
Kia ora Whanau!
Look at what we have achieved!! I know, it isnt the level we wanted but HOLY look at us go!! Im so proud of us, we are a Nation that cares!
So we changed the Pledgeme to 40k so that we can still get Whare sensor kits to families that need them the most and we will still be able to get Whare sensor kits to people that purchased them.
What we are going to do, in order to give ourselves time to get more Whare sensor kit orders in from other sources and therefore bring the price down per whare sensor kit, therefore allowing us to buy more kits for the community is delay ordering the kits until Feb next year. This still gives us ample time, to manufacture and distribute before Winter hits.
The whare sensor kits for the community will then go into rotation. We will work with community service providers to identify whanau with the most need, we will train the community service provider to install and the provider in conjunction with the whanau figure out the best plan to make their home warm and dry and then they measure again to make sure the changes are effective. Once the home is at good warm dry readings, the service provider will take the whare sensor kit and install into another home.
This is the best way we could pay homage to te ihi, te wehi me te wana of our pledgers, our believers and to all the people that have put time, energy, effort and thought into Whare Hauora.
We didn't reach our BIG target but we did find that Aotearoa cares, deeply, so we will not give up, we will find a way!
Kaua e mate wheke, mate ururoa!
Ngā mihi nunui,
Hīria and the Whare Hauora team
Comment on this update:
Over 20,000 pledged in under a week!
08:48PM Thu 26/07/18 on Sensors that tell you when your home is making you sick
We’ve already over a tenth of our goal! This is a huge step, and it happened in under a week which is incredible.
Thank you so much to everyone who’s pledged, you’re helping us do important work inside New Zealand’s sick homes.
If you’ve already pledged but you want to keep helping, we’d love for you to help champion our cause to your communities and networks. Here are some ways to help:
- Share this page on your social media accounts. If this is cause that’s close to your heart, and you feel able to tell your story, please do. Tell your networks why this matters to you and ask them to join you in supporting our PledgeMe.
- Pledge as a gift. Do you have friends or family expecting a baby? Or buying a new home? Consider making a pledge in their name, and if we reach our goal you can give them a sensor kit and let them know another family is getting one for free on their behalf.
- Do you know of an organisation or business who might be interested in purchasing one of our larger Pledges? They would be sponsoring a community getting home sensors and training in their name, and we can help with photo opportunities and promotion. If you have any ideas or connections, please email [email protected].
Thank you again, your support means the world to us.
Ngā mihi nui,
The Whare Hauora team.
Comment on this update:
2018-08-20 19:48:55 +1200
2018-08-20 18:48:11 +1200
2018-08-20 18:34:47 +1200
2018-08-20 14:11:45 +1200
2018-08-20 13:18:35 +1200
2018-08-20 12:27:13 +1200
"You should be incredibly proud of the contribution you're making to our society. You've got our support. Spread the love. Jared, Toby & Alex"
2018-08-20 11:25:58 +1200
"What a fantastic cause. I hope you succeed. "
2018-08-20 10:04:25 +1200
2018-08-20 09:44:33 +1200
2018-08-20 08:59:24 +1200
2018-08-19 22:12:56 +1200
2018-08-19 21:08:52 +1200
"Much love and hope from Carla and Ceri"
2018-08-19 18:42:12 +1200
2018-08-18 14:29:58 +1200
2018-08-16 19:30:46 +1200
"For my youngest sister, her new house is pretty good but being able to be sure is a good thing."
2018-08-16 19:25:50 +1200
"For my eldest sister, she has no fixed heating or double glazing (and probably little insulation) in her house. This may be able to help guide her next steps."
2018-08-16 19:20:24 +1200
"For my younger brother, who may choose to give it to his daughter with his first grandchild."
2018-08-16 14:07:59 +1200
"Kia kaha ki a koutou"
2018-08-16 06:12:11 +1200
2018-08-15 23:35:06 +1200
2018-08-15 21:02:44 +1200
"I'm pledging again, more, 'cause this is completely excellent and Aotearoa needs these en masse!"
2018-08-15 09:44:23 +1200
2018-08-15 08:42:37 +1200
"What a great initiative - well done Amber, Brenda and team!"
2018-08-15 06:57:14 +1200
2018-08-15 00:27:14 +1200
2018-08-14 21:16:47 +1200
"Love Whare Hauroa!"