Thanks for pledging! - Share this with your friends
Thank you for your pledge! We'll be in touch once the campaign meets its goal, and again when it closes, so you know we'll be charging your card.
I want to embed this project somewhere
NZ $5,525 pledged
203 people pledged
NZ $3,300 minimum target
Pledges will only be confirmed if the target is reached by: 16/08/2013 at 6:00 PM (NZST)Make a Pledge
#Stopthe Gcs Bbill
Project 2013-08-10 02:12:00 +1200
We made our goal! But, the more pledges = the more we can get the message out there. Let's stop the GCSB bill and start a conversation. As a country we simply don't know enough about the likely effects of this law. We do know that it has been a rushed process and that it will expand surveillance powers, and the implications are huge. We need to put the bill on hold and talk about how it could affect our right to privacy and our everyday life as Kiwis. We're saying let's talk about it because we don't want it to be obscure and rushed — a bit like these photos.
So, we want to push pause and have that conversation. We want to hear what you think, how it will affect you, and share your thoughts with the world (online, with billboards, posters, etc).
Radio New Zealand summed it up best by explaining it as a law that legalises government spying on New Zealanders.
Here’s a good article that explains the bill and its implications for everyday people like you and me.
What can you do?
- Send in a photo (blurry or not) to Promoki with your reason about why you’re worried about the rushing through of the GCSB bill
- Pledge to fund the spread - the more we raise, the more billboards and posters we can put up! But, at a minimum, we need $3,300 to get some Phantom coverage.
- Tell your friends to get on board.
What will the money be used for?
- To get this 2.5 x 5.2 m billboard at 401 Khyber Pass Road in Newmarket ($1,236.50)
- 180 posters up around Auckland and Wellington by Phantom Posters ($1,738).
- Credit card fees and reward costs.
Any extra money will be used to get posters up in other centres (Christchurch, Dunedin, [insert your city here - do suggest where we should poster in the comments below]). We will make the final posters available for you to put up on 19 August as well.
Who’s behind pushing pause on the bill?
- PledgeMe and Promoki
- High profile kiwis: http://i.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/8951548/High-profile-GCSB-bill-opposition
Not sure? Here's some reading material:
- New Zealand Law Society: http://www.lawsociety.org.nz/news-and-communications/news/august-2013/gcsb-bill-remains-flawed-despite-proposed-changes
- Tech giants: GCSB bill will hurt economy: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10906138
- Dame Anne Salmond: A warning to New Zealanders keep hold of democracy http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10897497
- Govt must heed Kiwis' unwillingness to live in spy state http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10908578
- Werewolf: http://werewolf.co.nz/2013/08/nanny-national/
- The GCSB Bill - we at least have to try (Public Address): http://publicaddress.net/hardnews/the-gcsb-bill-we-at-least-have-to-try/
- NBR: http://www.nbr.co.nz/category/category/gcsb
Billboard up + Posters to print
19/08/2013 at 1:46 AM
Well - it's started! The billboard went up Sunday, thanks to Phantom and to @timtobrien for sharing:
And, hundreds of posters are going up around New Zealand yesterday and today- from Dunedin through to Auckland, and many towns in between.
We couldn't cover everywhere though, so here's the full set of posters if you'd like to print and share them as well. Every little bit counts, so get your voice heard - and let's #stoptheGCSBbill and start the conversation. http://www.scribd.com/doc/161250685/Stop-GCSP-Posters-A3
Lastly, if you're in Auckland - head along to the meeting tonight - https://www.facebook.com/events/612399545449266/
Signing out with one of our top Promoki picks.... c/o @jackdelgadogo:
Pledges, photos, posters: a big thank you
16/08/2013 at 10:26 PM
Wow - that was a fast ride. We've been beavering away ordering media, printing posters, finalising art, and constantly thanking our lucky stars that everyone cares as much as we do about stopping this bill and starting the conversation.
So, thank you thank you thank you again to everyone for pledging and sharing this campaign - and for giving us feedback as we went along.
With your support, not only have we managed to get a billboard up in Auckland, but 100's of posters will be plastered up tomorrow in:
- Napier / Hastings
We will be contacting everyone who picked a reward, and sending those out early this week. If you would like to put posters up in your town / area - we will share the final artwork on our page later today.
- if you see a poster, tweet about it and start a conversation. Why do you want to #stoptheGCSBbill ?
- do you know anyone who doesn't know what this bill means? Talk to them about it
- In Auckland, go to the meeting on Monday night : https://www.facebook.com/events/612399545449266/
- Call / tweet / email your local MP
- Print out your own posters to put up in your shop, house, out on the street (legally...)
Signing out with a hugely massive thanks from,
Ants, Milan, Anna and Jackson.
13/08/2013 at 10:17 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Within one day of putting this up we’ve hit our goal to get the billboard and posters. We think that shows that you, the crowd of 145 supporters, want to take this to the next level.
If we can smash through $3,300 of pledges in a day, imagine what we can do in another few days.
What will we do with the extra money? We want you to tell us!
Should we buy a full page ad in a daily paper or should we black out the front page ads of a news website? Comment on the page to let us know where we should spend that money – and keep on sharing.
We want to stop the GCSB bill and start the conversation.
It's time for a cuppa
12/08/2013 at 7:34 PM
Wow, so humbled and stoked right now. We hit a third of the funding goal within 6 hours of going live.
Does that mean kiwis care more about the #GCSB bill than snappers? We hope so.
Signing out with David Lange: